We Were Liars is a modern novel of suspense, betrayal, discovery and trust – that is sometimes lost. Like the title says it’s a story that follows people who lie, to cover up truth, to be nice, to get away from uncomfortable situations and more. If its raining and you are looking for the right book to cozy up to, I would highly recommend this. The rain, hot coffee and suspense. Sounds about right, doesn’t it?
About the book
We Were Liars is a story about a distinguished family and their lives in a private island. We follow what happens to their family, why they are subjected to some things and most importantly what they are hiding.
A distinguished family is found in a private, beautiful island. The family is a host to many secrets. Their children all come with baggage of their own. There is a brilliant but damaged girl. Discovering her damage is one key part of this story. There is a boy who is political and passionate. There are friends who are called the Liars – four of them, walking on the fine line between destruction and friendship. This is also a story of true love. But overall, this is a story of the truth and how it can sometimes hide in plain sight. Its time to discover that truth for one last time.
In this book of dark secrets some of the most important themes are:
- Suspense: not knowing what is happening can throw any reader off. Well, this book is built on that type of a suspense, ready to keep you gripped to every word of the book.
- Coming of Age: As stated, this book follows young children as they grow up. We see themes of love, friendship and trust blossom as they grow up.
- The truth: the largest overarching theme is the theme of the truth. What happens when we hide the truth, what happens when the truth comes out. well, the only way to know is to wait for it to happen.
This book mostly focuses on the distinguished family, the damaged girl, the political boy and the four friends (the Liars).
We Were Liars keeps its readers on toe with some of the most intriguing quotes. My favorites are:
- “If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in ”
- “Someone once wrote that a novel should deliver a series of small astonishments. I get the same thing spending an hour with you.”
- “Always do what you’re afraid to do.
I will prove myself strong when they think I am sick.
I will prove myself brave when they think I am weak.”
- “They know that tragedy is not glamorous. They know it doesn’t play out in life as it does on a stage or between the pages of a book. It is neither a punishment meted out nor a lesson conferred. Its horrors are not attributable to one single person. Tragedy is ugly and tangled, stupid and confusing.”
- “But the thing that makes me really messed up is the contradiction: when I’m not hating myself, I feel righteous and victimized. Like the world is so unfair.”
About the Author
E.Lockhart is the distinguishable author of Again Again, Genuine Fraud and much more. This book also has the most awaited co-book – Family of Liars. Now its time to get your hands on both these books at once.
We Were Liars is a deep story of family, love and trust. More than that it’s the story of truth. Sometimes we think the truth can hide in plain sight, but sometimes it is hidden very deep and it takes effort to find it. But when the truth comes to light, the story completely changes. If you want to read a book of suspense, thrilling emotions and wonderful characters, E.Lockhart’s We Were Liars is right up your alley.