Whenever the word love is mentioned we all start thinking about the feeling which consumes us wholly. A feeling which makes us believe that we aren’t doomed to be alone. A feeling that everything will be all good and perfect with that particular person by our side. To sum up, we think of love as something which is the most beautiful thing to ever happen to anyone.
But have you ever heard of a side of love which makes you question your love? A side which makes you think that maybe there is no such thing as love? Or simply put, do you think there can be an ugly side to love?
ABOUT THE BOOK
While all the romance books you have read, you must have seen how every book portrays the best side of love. How everything feels so happening and good. But this book suggests that indeed love can be all romantic, happy and beautiful emotion but it has an ugly side to it too. A side which makes you lose trust in love. And is the ugly side of love worth the beautiful side of it?
Tate Collins, a 23 year old studying to become a nurse, moves to California with his brother Corbin Collins. Corbin and Miles Archer (Corbin’s best friend) both are airline pilots.
When Tate and Miles meet they both have an undeniable attraction between them. But Miles has made it clear he is neither looking for love nor for any relationships and Tate too doesn’t have any time for love. So they both come to an agreement that they will have a sexual relationship only with no feelings attached. And there were two rules Miles had for her: 1) Never ask about his past and 2) Never expect a future.
Why is Miles so against the idea of love? Does it have to do anything with his past? And what happens when they both realize that they are in love with each other…
● Love can hurt– love isn’t always about the special and pleasant feelings. There are times when love can hurt and the most heavenly feelings of love can cause someone immense pain and can hurt like hell.
● Beautiful vs ugly side of love– in the book both the beautiful and ugly sides of love are mentioned. And the main question which arises in the book is that is the beautiful side of love worth all the pain experienced from the ugly side of love. Is love worth taking this risk?
● Confronting your past– there are times when something awful happens to us and we have two things we can do to deal with it. Either we can face it and move on or we can bury it in our mind and let it consume us wholly. As easy and appealing the latter sound, it results in leaving the person traumatized. And that’s why confronting our past should be an important aspect of our life.
● Tate Collins– a nurse and a loving person who had her priorities clear until she met Miles.
● Miles Archer– an airline pilot who has no plans or time for loving someone. And his whole hatred for a love relationship is because of his past.
● Cap– an elderly man who is the employee of the building where Tate, Corbin and Miles live. He is the man who pushes the button of the lift and is seen to be of a great help for Tate in terms of giving advice.
● Corbin Collins– the best brother and the best friend someone can have.
● Rachel– first and true love of Miles.
● Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.
● I know the thought of confronting your past terrifies you.It terrifies every man. But sometimes we don’t do it ourselves. We do it for the people we love more than ourselves.
● I suppose if a man lived through the ugliest side of love, he might never want to experience it again.
● God gives us the ugliness so we don’t take the beautiful things in life for granted.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
If you’re active on social media then you would definitely know the author. Colleen Hoover is an instagram favorite author and rose to fame after her novel ‘It Ends With Us’ gained popularity over the night. She is known for writing gut wrenching stories and an unpredictable twist is a must have in her books. Also she has been constantly seen to write on different topics but love is one of the most common themes in all of her novels.
An interesting yet different take on love. It doesn’t show only the passionate and loving side of love but also shows how love has both a beautiful and ugly side. It will keep you hooked up until the very end and will make you feel for the characters.
Even when you finish the book, the themes will still be there fresh in your mind even after days pass on.