We all are different and so is our thinking. Some people purely believe in science while some people believe in destiny. But some events in our life are an example of how fate and destiny play an important role in our life. And our life and lives of those around us are interconnected. Though we can brush off this topic by saying it is all a coincidence, the mere faith in destiny makes our life more hopeful and beautiful at the same time.
ABOUT THE BOOK
The sun is also a star is a book which focuses upon the role of fate and destiny in our lives. As the title itself suggests, our fate and destiny are bound by each other. And though our actions determine the outcome of our life but still everything is interconnected and our fate is already written.
Natasha Kingsley, an undocumented Jamaican believes in science and facts. She believes that fate and destiny are just made up terms. She believes that dreams aren’t something that comes true.
Daniel Bae, an Asian- American is a good student and perfect son who has always lived up to people’s expectations.
When they both meet on a street, their life changes. Though they spent only one day together, they learnt alot from each other.
But Natasha being an undocumented Jamaican has to move back to her country. Will they be able to convince the attorney to make her stay or has fate planned something else for them…
- Passion vs Reason– the book through its characters showed how we as humans often run behind a job or a field which has more scope or which we think will be highly paid in future. And we often forget about what we truly desire. We forget that we enjoy doing something else i.e. our passion is different from the thing we are pursuing. And though the field we may run after will pay more but our heart will surely lack the peace which we get after following our passion.
- Cultural differences– Natasha and Daniel both belong to different cultures and therefore their perspectives towards things are totally different too. But the way their lives intermingled showed that no matter how different you are, you still can make room for a person in your heart.
- Fate and destiny– this is the most important aspect of the book. Often people ignore that fate and destiny exists. But surely it does as discussed in the book too. And when you carefully observe things then only will you realize fate works even in the smallest of things.
- Immigration– Natasha is an undocumented Jamaican who lives in America. And the book shows how difficult her life is. Having lived all these years in America it certainly isn’t easy to just move back because she is comfortable in America and mentally she will still live here only even if she moves back.
- Interconnectedness– you must have observed that our life and the lives of people around us are interconnected. Even a small action of ours can change the life of someone else.
- Opposites– both the protagonists of the books have totally different ideologies. But still they respect each other and end up falling for each other.
- Insta Love– the book is very fast paced and so is the story of Natasha and Daniel. They book meet on a random street and spend only a limited time with each other.
- Natasha Kingsley– an undocumented Jamaican, who believes in science and facts rather than fate and destiny.
- Samuel Kingsley– father of Natasha. And due to his dreams and events of life they end up in the situation they are in the book.
- Patricia Kingsley– Natasha’s mother.
- Daniel Jae Ho Bae– an Asian-American who has always lived up to his parent’s expectations.
- Dae Hyun and Min Soo Bae– parents of Daniel.
- Jeremy Fitzgerald– Natasha’s attorney. He believes he can stop Natasha from getting deported. His actions and events of his life definitely affected the story of Natasha and Daniel.
- Hannah Winter– she works for Jeremy and since before working for him, she believed that she was not important in anyone’s life. But after meeting Jeremy, her perception about herself changes.
- Maybe part of falling in love with someone else is also falling in love with yourself.
- We are capable of big lives. A big history. Why settle? Why choose the practical thing, the mundane thing? We are born to dream and make the things we dream about.
- How can you trust something that can end as suddenly as it begins?
- The trouble with getting your hopes too far up is: it’s a long way down.
- It’s hard trying to hold on to a place that doesn’t want you.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Nicole Yoon is a New York Times bestseller. She is a Jamaican- American and her most famous work includes Everything, Everything. This novel got adapted into a film too. The sun is also a star got later adapted into a film too. Her beautiful writing style definitely keeps people hooked.
The sun is also a star is a fresh take on fate and destiny and how people’s lives are interconnected. The whole story is truly magical and certain lines of the book definitely makes us stop and think about them.