Charlie Spring is a 10th grader at Truham Grammar School for Boys. The past year has been very rough on him, he was outed at his school. At least this year he is not getting bullied, in class, he is grouped with Nick Nelson who is in year 11 and is on the rugby team. Charlie falls for him even though he knows he has no chance with Nick but love works in surprising ways.
About the Book:
In volume 1 we follow the story of Charlie and Nick as they get to know each other, become great friends and eventually fall in love. In volume 2 we follow the journey of Nick’s discovery and acceptance, his struggles and support from the people in his life. In volume 3 we see the whole gang go on a trip to Paris and get to see Charlie and Nick beginning to learn more about each other and also telling more people about their relationship.
In volume 4 we see Nick and Charlie learning more about love. Nick has a lot on his mind and Charlie is falling back into harmful old patterns.
The plot of the Book:
Nick and Charlie are boyfriends now, Charlie cannot believe it, he feels he is ready to say those three beautiful words: “I love you.” Nick has a lot on his mind, coming out to his dad and discovering that Charlie might have an eating disorder. As a new school year starts, Nick and Charlie are going to learn a lot about what love is.
● Charlie Spring: He is a shy, openly gay and highly-strung teenager at Truham Grammar School for Boys
● Nick Nelson: He is a kind, soft-hearted and extroverted teenager at Truham Grammar School for Boys
● Tao Xu: Charlie’s best friend, he has a sharp tongue and is very protective of Charlie
● Elle Argent – She is a friend of Charlie, Tao and Aled. She moved to Harvey Greene Grammar School for Girls after her transition.
● Tara Jones – Elle’s friend from Harvey Greene Grammar School for Girls, she is kind of like Charlie shy and reserved, she is also Nick’s classmate from when they were children.
● Darcy Olsson – Elle’s friend from Harvey Greene Grammar School for Girls, she is outgoing and a complete chaos.
About the Series:
Heartstopper follows Charlie Spring, Nick Nelson and their small group of friends through their teen years. Heartstopper is a story of acceptance, love, friendship and self-discovery. The series is full of queer joy and flawed but wholesome friendships. Heartstopper is about love, friendship, loyalty and mental illness. It encompasses all the small stories of Nick and Charlie’s lives that together makeup something larger, which speaks to all of us.
About the Author:
ward-winning novelist, artist, and screenwriter Alice Osemanis famous for her queer YA contemporary novels. Solitaire, Radio Silence, I Was Born For This, and Loveless are among the four young adult contemporary novels they have written about teen disasters. Alice has been nominated for the YA Book Prize, the Inky Awards, the Carnegie Medal, and the Goodreads Choice Awards.
In a world where stories of queer tragedies take the front seat when it comes to LGBTQ+ literature, Heartstopper is a breath of fresh air, a story of growing, learning, love, friendship and queer happiness. We highly recommend Heartstopper if you are in a slump and need something quick, fresh and heartwarming to get back into reading, for those not in a slump, Heartstopper is going to make you fall in love with it. It has something for everyone, there are teen mistakes but there is also learning from them. Heartstopper is perfect for all ages and all people, this series is going to make a home right in your heart.